Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Book Recommendations from Schmardies!

Thanks to Mr. Schu Reads on Twitter for the great idea:  One of our final assignments for the year was to recommend a favorite book for next year's Schmardies.  I did ask that they mostly stick to books in our classroom library to make it easier for new students to find them right away.  Here are a few.  More to follow on future blogs:

Sarah says "the book I recommend is Because of Winn Dixie by Kate DiCamillo.  I recommend it to people who love dogs.  This book is about a girl named Opal.  She finds a dog in the middle of a Winn Dixie grocery store.  The ultra-shaggy dog would have been sent to the pound if Opal didn't think of something quick.  So, she claimed the dog was hers and gave it the name Winn Dixie.  The two of them have lots of fun.  Until a big thunderstorm, and Winn Dixie runs away.  You'll have to read the book to find out if Winn Dixie ever comes back.  You will love this funny story about Winn Dixie and Opal." Eliza also recommends this book.  She says, "I like this book because it has humor, excitement, and a little sadness.  Kate DiCamillo - I think she is a VERY good author.  She is actually my favorite author!  I KNOW you'll like this book if you like clever dogs, humor and great stories.  :)"

Connor S. recommends Warriors, Into the Wild by  Erin Hunter.  "I think it's a good book because the author helps me visualize.  The book is about when Rusty, a house cat, meets a wild cat and has a decision to join the wild or not.  You can get it at the school library.  If you like this book by Erin Hunter, then you will like more books by her."  Lucas also recommends this book.  He says, "I like this book because it has lots of action and adventure.  The book is about a cat named Rusty that walks into the forest and finds a clan.  He enters it and gets his clan name.  What is it?  You ask.  Well, you will have to read the book to find out.  I love this whole series.  This book was also a favorite of Conner C.'s.  He says, "I like this book because it is about a lot of clan fighting for food and survival.  You will like this book if you like adventure and a different point of view than people.  Look for it in our classroom book club books."

Alex recommends another book from the Warriors series, Warriors:  Forest of Secrets by Erin Hunter.  Alex says, "I recommend it because it has a lot of adventure in it.  I recommend this book to people who like adventure."


Jack recommends Franny K. Stein Mad Scientist by Jim Benton.  Jack didn't specify which one, but the above is in our classroom library, along with a few others.  Here are Jack's comments:  "I recommend this book because it is funny.  It also is kind of weird.  I would recommend this book to people who like weird inventions and humor.

I am so impressed by these 2nd and 3rd graders book reviews, especially when we didn't really talk about reviewing books much.  (It would be a great genre study!).  Just goes to show what an authentic writing assignment can generate!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment